The Competition is open to all instrumentalists who are residents of or study in Fairfield or New Haven County, Connecticut, and are thirteen (13) through eighteen (18) years of age.
And the latest competition winner is...
The six Finalists for the 2012 GBS Competition for Young Musicians are listed below. Congratulations to all 23 of the competitors!
In alphabetical order, they are:
Madeleine Bouissou, cello
Sergio Carleo, violin
Ege Izmirli, piano
Nicole Kogan, piano
Lindsay Thompson, violin
Jefferson Zhang, cello
The judges for the competition are:
$1000, audition with the GBS Maestro and chance to perform with the Greater Bridgeport Symphony
All remaining Finalists will receive certificates of Honorable Mention
Watch for the 2014 January Competition Announcement
The Competition is open to all instrumentalists who are residents of or study in Fairfield or New Haven County, Connecticut, and are thirteen (13) through eighteen (18) years of age. Applicants must have reached their thirteenth birthday, but not have reached their nineteenth birthday by the date of the Preliminary Competition, January 21, 2012. First Prize winners are not eligible to compete in subsequent competitions. All Finalists will receive an award certificate.
Contestants must be prepared to perform a movement of a concerto plus a work of a contrasting composer, period, style and tempo. The Concerto movement must be no more than 20 minutes and the solo piece may be no more than 8 minutes. The total combined amount of music must be at least 15 minutes. All repertoire is subject to approval by the GBS Music Director and GBS Executive Director.
All performances must be by memory.
Each competitor must be accompanied and must bring his or her own accompanist. The GBS may be able to recommend an accompanist, if necessary.
Both the Preliminary and the Final Rounds will be held at the Arnold Bernhard Arts & Humanities Center, University of Bridgeport, 84 Iranistan Avenue, Bridgeport, Connecticut.
Women: long dress or skirt
Men: suit or sport jacket, dress shirt and tie
The Greater Bridgeport Symphony and a committee of qualified judges will be the jury for the competition and have complete discretion of the jury to award any prizes, including First Prize. All decisions are final.
No individual recording of any kind of any competition event is allowed.
APPLICATION DEADLINE and ENTRY FEE:
Applications must be submitted online by January 4, 2012 at
ONLINE GBS COMPETITION APPLICATION FORM
- by credit card online at the competition page listed above
- by credit card by phone – call the GBS office (203) 576-0263
- by check made payable to “GBS” and mailed to GBS, 446 University Ave, Bridgeport, CT 06604
The application will not be considered complete until the application fee is paid.
All applicants must agree to:
- adhere to all stipulations stated above;
- allow audio and video taping and broadcast of all competition activities for non-commercial and general promotional use by the Greater Bridgeport Symphony; and,
- perform on the March 4, 2012 Finalist Recital and the June 16, 2012 GBS/GBYO Side-by-Side Concert if required by the stipulations of the prize. If these conditions are not met, the applicant may forfeit his or her prize and it will be up to the discretion of the GBS Competition for Young Instrumentalists, GBS Music Director and/or GBS Executive Director to determine if the prize will be awarded to another competitor.
Also all High School Seniors should also consider applying to the
Stamford Symphony Instrumental Scholarship Competition.